Tuesday, November 15, 2011

good medicine: the incredible shrinking woman


I feel like lately I've been writing a lot about my childhood obsessions. Well here's one more. When I was a kid I LOVED the 1982 movie The Incredible Shrinking Woman -- a zany tale, staring Lily Tomlin, about the perils of consumerism (or how Galaxy Glue will make you shrink). Over the years I've searched high and low for a DVD copy. Recently I was thrilled to find it on instant streaming on Netflix. I can't say that it's completely held up over time, but it's still a fun film with a kooky color palette; the cast appears to be dipped in an array of candy coated brights and pastels. One favorite is the mint green suit that Charles Grodin wears.

I almost wonder if Tim Burton was semi-inspired by the set design and costumes. Look through some of these screen shots and ask yourself if there's not a similarity to Edward Scissorhands.


More after the jump...



















2 comments:

Eboné Smiley said...

I used to LOVE this film! I think it came on Disney a lot or maybe my family had a VHS copy and I played it often when we lived overseas! Thanks for sharing the memories!

erin said...

Happy to share! If you haven't seen it in a while definitely recommend revisiting it.